Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Remember when...

I'm in the midst of being depressed by the fact that Royals pitcher, and 2009 Cy Young Award winner, Zack Grienke is hittable this season. Thus far tonight, he's given up six runs in 4 2/3 innings. Yup, depressing.

Thankfully, I have the commentary of Ryan Lefebvre and Frank White to cheer me up. Why does the baseball talk bantered between these two help ease my pain? Two reasons:

1. Frank White laughs at everything. Seriously. Everything. Quips, puns, yips, and Huns (Atilla was a joker). You could say a chicken crossed the road because he was a communist and Frank would laugh. You could answer the "Who's there?" after "Knock, Knock" with "the paperboy," and Frank would laugh. Frank laughs so many times during the course of a broadcast that I'm fairly confident he giggles in his sleep. I need to convince Frank to follow me around someday. I can't imagine the confidence boost it would be to have someone laugh every time you tried to make a joke.

...Then again, I'd probably be the one person he doesn't find funny.

2. Lefebvre was just talking about the Royals top pick of the 2010 draft - a shortstop named Christian Colon. Chances are he could be a standout at the position. Unfortunately, it's just as likely that he'll one day be cursed like former Royals shortstops Neifi Perez and Tony Pena, Jr. Nonetheless, the commentary I enjoyed tonight has nothing to do with Colon (pronounced ku-LONE, not KO-lun, thankfully), but with Lefebvre's assessment. Ryan said that Colon has been compared to Placido Polanco (read: average Major League 2B), but also to Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter "in terms of his makeup." Long-time readers of The Writings with above-average memories will recognize why I find comparing someone to Jeter in such terms humorous, but for those to don't, you have homework.

It will be quite a day when my mom can show me a picture of a Royals player in her AVON catalog.

No comments: