Thursday, October 22, 2009

Comment of the Night

I've never been a fan of the New York Yankees. Appreciating the small-market Kansas City Royals as I do, the free-spending, "we'll pay a popcorn vendor $35 million if he might be worth another win" attitude of the Yankees has always disgusted me. They have players that make more money than some small nations, after all.

It is this loathing of the Yankees, of whom my dad is a fan, that made this evenings Comment of the Night so very enjoyable. After a dinner at my parents' home, I started watching game 5 of the ALCS with my father, mother, and brother. Dad was openly rooting for the Yankees. My brother and I weren't holding back in cheering for the Angels. My mom, whose interest in sports lies only in the fact that her family enjoys them, mostly ignored such proceedings and casually flipped through a magazine.

As the game progressed, it was only natural that Derek Jeter's name came up. He is, after all, the Yankees' all-time hits leader. He's a former Rookie of the Year, a Gold Glove winner, and a former World Series MVP. He's the most identifiable Yankee today. Naturally, this all means that I'm not his biggest fan. Unfortunately, as is often the case, tonight's game announcers seemed to care little about my personal feelings. The praised Mr. Jeter to no end. My dad rooted for Jeter to help the Yankees get things going. My brother and I rooted for Jeter to leave during the game to go on a date with some celebrity. Meanwhile, the sportscasters gushed about the Yankee shortstop.

As the commentators carried on about Jeter as if he could have created the Earth in five days and turned an unassisted triple play on the sixth, my mom suddenly took notice. With no intention of poking fun, just looking to be informative, Mom said, "Jeter... I know him. He's in my AVON catalog." Then, she grabbed the catalog for the "world's leading direct seller of beauty and related products" and flipped through the pages until she found the one bearing his face. It's true, Mr. Yankee is featured in a publication that exists solely to get females to buy cosmetics; it's also true that those who don't know a sacrifice fly from something on the end of their fly swatter know Mr. Jeter for this very fact.

Now I'm just trying to figure out what verse of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" mentions AVON.

No comments: