Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Quite the Trend

When I view my Yahoo!* e-mail, a column appears on the right side of the web page that lists topics that are "Trending Now." From what I understand, the items listed are subjects that are currently being searched for quite often via the Yahoo! search engine. When viewing the list, one must analyze it with a grain (or an entire shaker) of salt, since everyone uses Google for their search engine needs these days. The "Trending Now" list isn't quite as irrelevant as one that might be provided by "Ask Jeeves," but it's close.

*Unfortunately, my voice does not reflect the exclamation point at the end of "Yahoo!" whenever I mention the e-mail provider. I'd commit to working on this, but some (and by some, I mean all) people might give me funny looks.

Tonight, when I checked my e-mail, I noticed an interesting trend among the listed trends. Among the top six "Trending Now" items, you'll find Jenna Bush, Tiger Woods, Elijah Wood, and Megan Fox. Now, dear reader, it's your chance to analyze that list and tell me what you notice.

Take your time. I'll wait. I can entertain myself.



Watching Paint Dry



... All set? Fantastic.

Anyway, if you're thinking along the same lines that I am (and I apologize profusely if you are) you've noticed one intriguing detail. That's right, it's seems that Yahoo! search engine users are obsessed with the forest. Bush, woods, wood, and fox. I fully expect Tree Rollins, Wolf Blitzer, Woody Woodpecker, and Grizzly Adams to be added to the list soon.

No comments: