Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Getting a Stew Going

There are no particular themes here. Just tossing ideas in the proverbial pot to create blog stew... A big thank you goes to Carl Weathers of Arrested Development fame (what do you mean he was in Rocky? And Rockys II-IV? And Predator? And Happy Gilmore?) for providing this title of this entry.

-Yesterday, a co-worker told me that I "look tired." Granted, with some overtime being put in and the fact that I have been waking up earlier than normal, I was tired. I guess it could be a good thing that my appearance is not dishonest.

Nevertheless, I also realize that when someone is told that they "look tired" it often is a nice way of being told"you look like you were run down by a stampede of ill-tempered wildebeests shortly after spending a sleepless night getting repeatedly flicked in the eyeballs by the Boogeyman's distant cousin, the the Think-you-can-dance-but-you're-only-fooling-yourselfman." Congratulations, self.

- I have just discovered an actor/actress triumvirate that I never dreamed possible. The title of the program eludes me, but it appears that Gilbert Gottfried, Bill Bellamy, and the girl who played Lisa Turtle on Saved By the Bell appear in the same cast. I am too lazy to look this up, but I'm nearly positive that it had to win some awards.

- The story of Nick "Hogan"'s car accident and subsequent arrest is a horrible one for all parties involved, but it is also getting entirely too much media coverage. Therefore, I'm not addressing that issue, but another item that is far more trivial. It makes absolutely no sense that the media refers to the son of Hulk Hogan as Nick "Hogan." After all, "Hogan" was a stage/ring name. The Hulkster's true last name is Bollea*. It is utterly asinine to refer to the rest of his family with the Hogan surname. If I ever have a son, he's not going to go by the last name "Flute," despite the fact that I played a candy flute in an elementary school production of The Nutcracker... I guess I'm old-fashioned.

*I realize that the fact that I know Hulk Hogan's real last name is probably a huge strike against me in the game of life (real life, not the board game with plastic cars)... but, I'm getting used to seeing those total up like Randy Johnson pitching against the Bad News Bears.

- I enjoy fantasy football as much as most participants, but aren't we getting a little carried away when we start devoting television coverage to it in June? The pointlessness of the preseason doesn't even begin until August, only three first-round draft picks have even signed contracts at this point, and the Bengals have hardly had time to have any players be arrested. We've got to give these folks some time.

- I received an abundance of questions** after updating my status on a popular social-networking web site (hint: it rhymes with racenook) with a quote on the subject of powdered gravy consumption from one of my favorite television programs. It was at this point that I was reminded that several things I reference may be deemed nonsense to the average person. Look for The Complete Guide to Understanding Derek Larson in bookstores near you.

**Should it concern me that some people who know me actually thought I would eat a packet of powdered gravy I found in a parking lot?

1 comment:

Jared Larson said...

I enjoyed very much the "Arrested Development" reference. Go fish, Uno.