Sunday, May 09, 2010

Hot Lutefisk

In the life of "The Writings" a running joke* has been creating fake slogans for this very depository of incoherent thought. For example, in the course of a blog describing reasons why one might possibly have optimism about the Kansas City Royals, I could then follow with a slogan like "The Writings: Our grasp on reality is a slippery one, at best." Unfortunately, the best slogan for this blog in recent months has been, "The Writings: Featuring new content as often as reruns of 'Salute Your Shorts.'"

*Editor's note: The term "joke" can be used rather loosely when the author describes his blog... Please humor him.

It's true, my updates to this blog have been arriving about as often as family Christmas letters lately, and some of the content has been about as entertaining as Uncle Seamus' story of visiting the cider mill. This, dear reader(s), is something we at The Writings won't stand for*.

*The Writings: We prefer sitting.

There's not much of an excuse for lack of content; there are certainly topics out there. After all, the Royals are doing their best to make sure Zack Greinke won't be considered as a Cy Young candidate this year. (I'm fairly confident the award winner needs to have at least one victory.) The Chiefs are in the midst of an offseason that could actually make them a relevant team again. Lost, perhaps my favorite television program ever, is nearing it's conclusion. I even recently experienced what some might deem a "life-changing event" by changing jobs, careers, paychecks and lunch habits.

Yes, there's plenty on my mind and I've apparently just been keeping all these thoughts caged up in my head rather than unleashing them on the online world and giving others the chance to say "where the heck did that come from?"

For better or for worse (that's for you to decide), it's time to bring some of my focus back to The Writings and I'm going to do it hot lutefisk. Naturally, you have no idea what the term "hot lutefisk" means. In The Writings lore, it is now the opposite of "cold turkey." When someone drops a bad habit without any sort of transition plan, it's often referred to as quitting cold turkey. I've never understood the phase, so it's only fair that the phrase's antonym makes even less sense. Thus, I'm going to get back to blogging "hot lutefisk."

Today is May 9. In true "hot lutefisk" fashion (which exists as of May 9), I'm going to update The Writings each and every day that I'm physically able to for the next month. No matter what falls on my plate, if I have access to my laptop that day, there is going to be new content added to The Writings. It may not always make sense (nothing new) and it may not always be lengthy (also nothing new), but there will be updates. Be prepared.

Odds are, by June 9 people will be begging me to quit cold turkey.

The Writings: This should be interesting.

1 comment:

little apple tally said...

Hot lutefisk on mashed potatoes.... yummmmmm!