Friday, May 21, 2010

Four-letter word that rhymes with frost

One of the foremost things on my mind lately is a subject that involves a spinal surgeon, a con man, a fugitive, an unlucky lottery winner, and an island of mystery. While that sounds a bit like the set-up for a really horrible joke (and I am very familiar with really horrible jokes), in reality it is nothing of the sort; just simple truth. You see, the last episode ever of one of my favorite television programs of all time (Lost, if you had yet to solve this puzzle) takes place on Sunday. It's a show my brother got me hooked on a couple seasons in, and since that point I have been hooked like the arm of a certain captain in Neverland.

The mysteries of the show have always intrigued me. I'd like to write about plot-points and theories in detail, but I know a pair of readers that viewing the show through the majesty of DVD and have not gotten past the fourth season yet. Thus, what follows is my Lost Writing, edited to be spoiler free for those who are behind in their viewing.

To begin, we have to discuss Jack Shephard. Viewed as the hero of the story since the pilot episode, it was revealed recently that he's now (content removed). This is quite a far cry from the days that he was (content removed). The fact that he is now the (word deleted) for (name deleted) should play a major role in the finale.

Naturally, you can't discuss Jack without then mentioning John Locke. Through much of the series, one's yin has been the other's yang. The revelation that Locke was actually (content removed) did certainly cast a different light on the relationship, but I have to think that (content removed) in Sunday's finale.

Beyond those two, you have characters like Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, Sayid, Jin, and Sun. All have played significant roles in the series. Sure, some of them are (content removed), and others are (content removed), but I expect they all (content removed) on Sunday. After all they have (content removed) and (content removed) in the previous 5.9 seasons. That has to mean something, right?

I'm not really sure how new characters like (name deleted) and (name deleted) might behave in the finale. They're tough to get a handle on, but I think the (content removed) has really added (content removed) to the series.

On a final note, I have to mention my favorite character, (name deleted). Sure (pronoun deleted) is a (content deleted) and (pronoun deleted)'s done some really (content deleted) things, but the portrayal by (performer's name deleted) is remarkable each and every episode. It has been tough to figure out (name deleted)'s true motivations, but I really think (pronoun deleted) could play a big role in the last episode.

What a program. How can you not love a show that has involved everything from (content deleted) to (content deleted). I feel like it keeps my mind working overtime. I don't really know what my weekend will entail, but I know how 2.5 hours will be spent on Sunday night. I really hope they explain this whole (content deleted).

No comments: