Monday, May 31, 2010

Blurred Realities

After spending much of the holiday weekend with family and friends, I find myself at home this evening, watching "Gangs of New York." It's high time I actually saw this motion picture and 132 minutes in, I feel that it's been a worthwhile Netflix rental. That said, I'm struggling with a couple of details from the film.

No, I haven't spent the whole picture wondering if the main antagonist is hiding a rabbit in his ridiculously tall top hat. No, I haven't been concerned about figuring out how in the world Gilbert Grape was transported back in time. My concern lies in the fact I can't view one character without thinking of his alternate life in another movie.

The character in question- a gang member turned crooked constable - is played by John C. Reilly. The role is a completely serious one, but every time his face has popped up on my television I have expected him to yell out "Shake and bake" or talk about Jesus wearing a tuxedo t-shirt. It has happened yet, but it's destined to, right?

No comments: