Friday, October 09, 2009

Something for the "Bad Idea" File

Whether or not you, dear reader, are a member of the Twitter community, I have confidence that you have at least some idea of what the ornithologically named social networking website is. With 140 characters at their disposal, people can post updates (tweets) on whatever they like. People might post what they're currently doing, their thoughts on current events, or lousy attempts at being funny*. Twitter has become a worldwide phenomenon. Everyone from no-name bloggers to failed vice presidential candidates utilizes the tweet factory.

*I'm sure you've guessed what category most of my tweets fall into.

Unfortunately, like most areas of the web, Twitter also suffers from spam. Twitter accounts are created every day that have as much legitimacy as the guys selling bootlegged DVDs on the street corners of big cities. Believe it or not, the tweets from these spammers don't really cover a wide range of topics. As one would expect, like evil pied pipers, they're all trying to lead you somewhere you probably shouldn't go.

A bevy of these spammers attempt to post things that should be... uhh... provacative in nature. Unfortunately, such tweets aren't always thought out in good fashion.*

*Insert appalled gasp here.

A post I read earlier this evening had me particularly concerned. I noticed I had a new follower on Twitter. Thinking it might someone willing to pay me a very generous salary to write anti-Favre propaganda, I checked the identity of said new follower. It was then that I discovered that this was a blatant spam account. I was about to click away from the page, when I noticed the account's most recent post.

"Taking a shower."

Now one convenient thing about Twitter is that you can update it from anywhere. All you need is a computer, a Blackberry, a cellphone, or a carrier pigeon with bluetooth*. Unfortunately, none of those items react very well with water. Believe me. I received 44 phone calls between the hours of 2 and 5 a.m. the other night as the result of a family member's phone acting as a sponge. Electronics and water are not yet good buddies.

*I cannot confirm that the final option actually works.

Because we at The Writings value education, we're going to pass on a lesson to all; even the spammers out there. Feel free to tweet that you're eating broccoli. Feel free to tweet that you're enjoying an a cappella rendition of Rockin' Robin. Feel free to tweet that you have issues with the plot of Teen Wolf. Just don't tweet when you're showering. It's bad news for everyone.

1 comment:

Jaclyn said...

Who in the world would have a problem with the plot of Teen Wolf?!