Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Return to Pointlessness

Popular opinion* says that it's been far too long since a Writing has been composed of nothing but random thoughts of a bulleted nature. It's time to rectify this lack of typed drivel.

*"Popular opinion" belongs to the author. He supports his opinions, in most cases.

- I picked up a new cellphone awhile back. When texting, it often attempts to guess the next work i'm going to type. If I type, "I'm going" it might suggest "home" as the next word. I can see how it might be a convenient feature. Unfortunately, my particular phone seems a bit paranoid about our nation's safety. On several occasions, it has attempted to finish my sentence with the word "terrorists." My phone wants me to send messages like "I saw the terrorists," "let's go watch terrorists," or "I ate terrorists." Believe it or not, I don't take my phone's advice very often.

- My toaster is the one that knows what it is talking about.

- The opening to "Shaq vs." refers to Shaquille O'Neal as an athlete "formed out of Greek mythology." That seems like an odd nickname for his mother.

- I'm also glad that the announcers decided to clarify for the audience that "Shaq vs." is "the only show where four-time NBA Champion Shaquille O'Neal takes on world class athletes in their own sports." I thought for sure I'd seen it happen on "Nash Bridges," but thanks to the informative announcer, I know I was mistaken.

- I had never watched "Shaq vs." prior to tonight... Now that I have, it seems there is good reason that I've never programmed it into my DVR.

- Zack Greinke currently has 12 strikeouts through six innings pitched. He's been the best pitcher in the American League this year, but he's on the worst team in the league. If you are writing a story about things that are not fair, consider this for your lead.

- Yes, I admit that the Royals are the worst time in the American League... But they aren't the worst in the Majors. Thank you, Washington Nationals, for taking charge in the department of futility.

- Need to figure out if you're an adult yet? Head to the dentist. If paying for the dental work hurts more than sitting through it, congratulations, you're all grown up.

- Did I say 12 strikeouts through six innings? I meant 14 through seven, which ties the Royals' single-game record. With the way things have gone lately, I'm just glad we're talking about records that don't involve "most losses," "most consecutive at bats without actually making contact with a pitch," or "most fans that leave directly following the hot dog race."

- My new neighbor (in my apartment with thin walls) apparently enjoys calling her mother and yelling at her over the phone. I'm sure her mom appreciates it as much as I do. Luckily for the mom, she at least has the option of hanging up. I have yet to locate that button on my Dunder-Mifflin brand wall. 

- 15 strikeouts in a game marks a new Royals record for Donald Zackary Greinke. Congratulations to the young man, and congratulations to KC beat writers for having something to write about other than the Royals failing to capitalize with runners in scoring position.

- I'll close with a video most of you have probably seen, but if you have not, have a look. K-State guard Denis Clemente hits a shot that looks like it belongs in the old Jordan/Bird McDonalds commercial. I have not received any confirmation as to whether coach Frank Martin is petitioning the NCAA to make this sort of shot legal.



Denis Clemente (K-State) Crazy Shot, Can you beat this Lebron?

No comments: