Friday, August 14, 2009

It's time to seek help.

When a person has self-destructive tendencies, it is always best for that person to seek help. Many have done it, and now it's my turn. You see, I have an addiction. One that leads to little more than frustration, heartache, and the urge to stick one's hand into a garbage disposal. I know how feeding this addiction leaves me feeling. I've known for years.

I used to be able to fool myself into thinking that my actions were rational; that what I was doing might somehow pay off in the end. Now, as I get older, I may be seeing the error of my ways. I know I have a problem, and I know it's one I've brought upon myself. The only thing left to do is address it head on.

Hi. My name is Derek, and I am a Royals fan.

It's good to have that out there.

Back in April, the Royals became a trendy pick to be the winner of the American League Central. Some off-season transactions combined with a stellar month of play last September instilled many - including the author - with the idea that the Royals could put things together and win a relatively weak division. At first, it seemed that such hopes might have firm backing, as KC opened the season by winning 18 of its first 29 games.

My, how things have changed. After falling to the Tigers tonight, the Royals are 45-70, at the bottom of their division, and they have won more games than just one other team in all of Major League Baseball.

It's true, being a fan of a team during one disappointing season doesn't call for an intervention, but the Royals have only had one winning season since the 1994 strike year. Each of the 15 seasons since, I have conjured up optimism, fooling myself into thinking, "This could be a good year." At the end of most of those seasons, I felt like I did at the end of the third movie in the Matrix trilogy. I was searching for answers and occasionally muttering, "What just happened?"

The big victim of this disappointing 2009 has to be Zack Greinke, a pitcher considered by some to be the best in the American League. Earlier tonight, Greinke tossed seven shutout innings against the Detroit Tigers, the top team in the AL Central. He struck out seven Detroit batters and gave up just 3 hits. It was a stellar outing; one you might expect from a Cy Young Award-caliber pitcher. It was a performance that results in victory 13 times out of 14.* The Royals lost 1-0 when relief pitcher Roman Colon gave up a walk-off home run to Brandon Inge.

*I have not actually done the math on this.

Greinke entered tonight's game leading the American League in earned run average and was second in strikeouts. Despite his dominating numbers, the Royals have won just 11 of the 24 games he has pitched in.

Collectively, the Royals have the lowest team on-base percentage and have scored the second-fewest runs in the American League. Their lineup tonight featured a journeyman catcher batting cleanup and the third-string catcher as designated hitter. Their offense this season has been slightly more intimidating than a puppy that just learned to chase its tail.

Despite the disappointing year, the Royals front office made no moves at the recent trading deadline. There was no attempt to drop dead weight, no pursuit of young, promising prospects. Nothing.

A well person would probably have learned his lesson by now. A well person would have been subjected to three or four years of disappointment and then moved on to something else, like sewer fishing, razor wire climbing, or buffalo tipping. A well person would not be crafting this writing. Some might suggest giving personal wellness a try.

I've addressed the issue. Now, I have to figure out the next step. Some might suggest just buying a Cardinals cap. Others would say I need to move closer to another Major League team. Others would suggest giving up baseball altogether and maybe switching my fandom to soccer, cricket, or jai alai. Alas, I'm the one in control here, so it's my decision to make.

...

...

... Hey, the Royals play at 12:05 p.m. tomorrow. Maybe a Luke Hochevar start is just what they need.

Forget wellness.

No comments: