Friday, August 15, 2008

Always High Aggravation... Always

There's a certain large chain store that I have grown to despise (I'm not here to name names, but you should be able to crack this case). Yet, through some stroke of temporary insanity, I ended up going there this evening.

At 5:30.

Being at this store at 5:30 p.m. any night is about as enjoyable as licking the whitewash off a splintery picket fence. On Friday nights, it's worse.

Imagine being stuck in rush hour traffic in a big city. Now, imagine that the honking cars and fist-clenching gridlock are replaced by the depths of human ignorance and rudeness... Welcome to (insert store name here).

The aggravation starts before you even enter the store. Searching for a parking spot is not only extraordinarily difficult, but the hunt is continually impeded by the lackadaisical gait of shoppers.

Folks, I realize pedestrians have the right of way, but you're pushing your limits when you traipse about in front of my car and make no effort whatsoever to saunter to the right three feet so that I can drive by.

Inside, things don't get any better. People are everywhere, cutting you off with their shopping carts, and nearly knocking you over when reaching for items they're purchasing. It's like a mild riot of people fueled by saving 18 cents on a bottle of NyQuil. All this, and nary an "excuse me," or "pardon me," to be heard.

Back in the parking lot, preparing to leave, it's time for the "Hey, I almost plowed into your car 500." Unfortunately, you're on the "almost plowed" end, as an SUV zooms past your bumper when you're halfway backed out of your parking spot.

What started as a quest to check out some video games ended as yet another lesson learned: low prices aren't worth it.


No comments: