Saturday, April 16, 2011

People in your Neighborhood - The Frogurt Edition

I have never gone water-skiing. I have never whittled a woodwind instrument. I have never eaten at a frozen yogurt place... One of those statements in no longer true. Apologies who love the sweet tunes that come from a home-fashioned pan flute, but the item I can cross off that list involves frozen yogurt (which I, along with many others, call frogurt). I had some reservations about giving the place a chance, but it turns out that it's not bad dining. Beyond that, the crop of customers available for observation was one of the bumper variety. Read on to learn about a few of the people at your local frozen yogurt shop. 


The Dancer
In the land where frozen yogurt cascades like congested waterfalls, club music is king - at least it was on this night. As I waited in a horseshoe-shaped line to populate a bowl with fro-yo* and enough toppings to cripple one's mind, bass beats that sounded eerily techno-ish provided a very strange take on background noise. This may come as a shock to any and all reading this, but I'm fairly sarcastic and cynical by nature. (GASP!) As a result, once I noticed the music playing I prepared to make some sort of snarky comment about it to my brother; something along the lines of "Where do we pick up the glowsticks?"^^ Alas, when I turned to speak, I noticed the guy about 10 people ahead of us in line. He wore a navy blue t-shirt, which was at least one size too small if you asked his belly, and had hair caked with more grease than most items on the Long John Silver's menu. His look was one thing, but I barely had a chance to let the ridiculousness settle in when I noticed that he was pigeon-necking to the beat of the music. Yes, he was into it. Surely he's doing that as a joke, I thought, but he did not seem to be attempting to catch anyone's eye as he did it. The story was the same when I saw him reclining back on one of the establishment's couches later. He was simply grooving to, and enjoying, the beat. Apparently the Frogurt place needs a cover charge.

*This is my attempt to connect with the youth of America... I'm hip. I'm with it...

^^Hey, it was funny in my head.

Crocs'n'Socks
I have never worn, nor do I ever intend to wear, a pair of Crocs. I understand that they're very comfortable, but there's something about wearing "shoes" that look much more like bath sponges that I am just not comfortable with. That said, if I did ever wear Crocs, I would not wear them with socks. No, I'm not one to keep tabs on styles or fashion (What do you mean my Homer Simpson t-shirt isn't "in"?), but wearing glorified sandals along with socks pulled up to one's knees seems like a curious move even to me. I guess this guy's lower legs could incredibly prone to insect bites or he might have once made the unfortunate mistake of having socks surgically attached to his legs; perhaps the explanation is that easy... Whatever the case, I'm concerned.

*Would I, could I, in a house? Would I, could I, with a blouse? I could not, would not in a house. I could not, would not, with a blouse.

Pajama Patty
Locations where the donning of one's pajamas is appropriate: one's home; someone else's home, should one be invited for an overnight stay or to a pajama party there.
Locations where the donning of one's pajamas is NOT appropriate: anywhere else. (Note to the lady with the weird tattoo on her neck: "anywhere else" includes the frogurt shop. I'll admit, I was rather confused when I walked through the door and saw you standing in line... I thought I'd wandered into someone's home kitchen.)


No comments: