Thursday, March 17, 2011

Writing Feverishly

First things first, I better get one thing straight: being sick is horrible. I had the pleasure of waking up at 3 this morning soaked with sweat and generally feeling as if my head was near a low flame. I tried to put the general lousiness behind me and return to my slumber, but such a task was akin to learning Latin during "The Price is Right." After an undetermined period of time (I don't track well when generally confounded by sleep deprivation), I made my way to my thermometer to take my temperature. When three digital digits appeared prior to the decimal, I had confirmation that one of those flu bugs that have been making the rounds had stopped by my place. I also had the sort of headache that makes a person check the sides of his head to ensure that he is not currently in the grasp of a medieval torture device. Back to bed!

From that early morning hour through 9 a.m., I probably slept for an hour-and-a-half. Believe it or not, that schedule does not meet my typical quota. Alas, where there's bad, there's often good. You see, today is the first TRUE day of the NCAA Tournament (sorry, opening round... you're dead to me), meaning that my television will be airing little other than hoops from 11 a.m. onward.

You know what they say: When life hands you lemons, stay on your couch and watch basketball.*

*The Writings: We really have no insight into popular vernacular.

With my day's schedule now cleared, there's plenty of time to keep updates coming on the day as it proceeds. If you only read one running account of a sick day this week, make it this one.

10:24 a.m. - While trying to get through NCAA pregame without falling asleep (note to self: record some studio shows to watch next time you can't sleep), I realize that today is St. Patrick's Day. I have no Irish luck, I'm not wearing green, and I don't see a pint of Guiness in my future... Apparently I'm the Grinch of St. Patty's.

10:34 a.m. - Pregame includes a short interview with Jimmer Fredette, the BYU guard who leads the nation in scoring. I cannot watch a Jimmer interview without expecting some sort of pitch to drink milk or visit the library at the end.

10:42 a.m. - Good news: we're just 18 minutes away from the start of the first game. Better news: we're just ten hours and 15 minutes from the start of K-State's game against Utah State. I have of goal of being able to sit up by that point without my head feeling like someone is jabbing my brain with the pokey end of a compass. It's good to have goals.

10:47 a.m. - Within a span of three minutes, the pregame show aired highlights of KU's loss to Northern Iowa in 2010 and of Kansas falling to Bucknell in 2005. Have I mentioned that I love March?

11:06 a.m. - Charles Barkley calls the Big East the most overrated basketball conference in the country. If you disagree, you're wrong. Just ask Chuck. Sure, Sir Charles may have once thrown a guy through a bar window, but he's undeniably entertaining on television. I don't think there's any correlation there, but I could be wrong.

11:24 a.m. - Four minutes into the first game of the day, West Virginia - coached by former K-Stater Bob Huggins - is shooting slightly less accurately than a blind, vertigo-stricken marksman. Remember, their opponent - Clemson - is the team that just competed in a "first round" game 38 hours ago. Lesson: sports make no sense.

11:43 a.m. - The second game of the day - Butler-Old Dominion - has begun and now my thumb will get a workout. For the first time ever, four networks are broadcasting the NCAA Tournament, meaning all games can be viewed in their entirety. I'd say that my head hurts just thinking about all that basketball, but we've already established that it hurts and I don't condone beating horses in any state of being.

11:53 a.m. - If Mario (of Super Mario Bros. fame) was a real person that wore suits, I am fairly certain that he would look identical to Old Dominion's coach. This update brought to you by the Council for Pointless Observations.

12:47 p.m. - Through fastidious research, I discovered that "rest" is a recommended remedy to things like the flu. Thus, I gave that a go, along with a healthy dose of off-brand Dayquil. (We'll call it Fakequil.) Have I made a miraculous recovery? Not exactly, but I'm no longer daydreaming about video game characters becoming basketball coaches... That's progress, right?

12:58 p.m. - Ever feel like you'd be better off letting a Latvian hobo make your bracket picks than deciding the winners yourself? Welcome to my world, as Louisville - one of my Final Four picks - is losing to Morehead State (a school seemingly named after a common phrase at cannibal dinners) 8-0 early on. 

1:36 p.m. - Game one of the day wraps with West Virginia reigning as the victors. Broadcasters credit the Mountaineers' defense down the stretch. I credit their bright yellow shoes. How the opposing team can concentrate while continually asking "It's possible to make shoes that shade? Does that color even exist naturally in nature?" is beyond my comprehension.

1:50 p.m. - Like buzzer beaters? Butler wins with one, causing me to sit up so quickly that my brain seemingly stayed back on my pillow. Note to self: don't do that again.

2:55 p.m. - I've never had one of my Final Four picks lose in the 64-team round of the NCAA Tournament... Apparently there's a first time for everything. Morehead State just topped Louisville and I now know that there are a ton of people out there who feel a whole lot worse than I do... On that note, I've been sitting upright for 30 minutes now and my head has yet to explode. Progress.

3:11 p.m. - Like buzzer beaters? Wow, this sounds awfully familiar. Whether I'm encountering deja vu, suffering from 'quil-related hallucinations, or simply witnessing a great day of basketball, I'm not entirely sure. If my eyes don't deceive, though, Temple just beat Penn State with a bucket that left just 0.4 seconds on the clock. I'm not one to support overuse of common phrases that slyly refer to mental illness, but "March Madness" is pretty accurate in describing things so far.

Five hours and 1,000 words into this log, it's probably time to let things rest. After all, the Cats will take the court in five-and-a-half hours. That's just enough time to attempt to nap, get frustrated because I can't sleep, and then watch more basketball. Good times.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Louisville deserved to lose today! They failed to recognize the situation at the end. With a two point lead and time winding down, they should have fouled Demonte Harper before a shot was attempted. That would have resulted in a one-and-one, and the game most likely would have gone into overtime at the worst.