Monday, July 19, 2010

Weather or Not

I watched the film "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs"* recently. While the film is a fictional story (I think it's fictional anyway), it brings an interesting thought regarding weather. In the story, a scientist invents a machine that affects the weather in a manner that delectable meals will fall from the sky. Want to treat your entire town to cheeseburgers? Tell the scientist. Boom, quarter-pound patties dressed in cheddar for all. Been craving sweets? Track down Dr. Foodcrafter and you'll be riding a brownie sled down a sundae hill tomorrow afternoon. The scientist became a celebrity and everyone was thrilled with the weather... Until the food mutated into massive proportions that crushed homes and ruined people's lives, then folks weren't so happy.

*One might be saying to him-or-herself, "I wonder who this guy watched a movie intended for children like this one with." The answer to such a pondering? Surely not by myself via Netflix streaming online service... Boy, would that be embarrassing. (Insert nervous laugh here.) Follow up response: Why do you refer to me as "this guy" anyway? C'mon, my name is in the URL of this blog. (No, my name isn't Blog Spot.)

Frankly, the film is extremely far-fetched, though not for the reasons you think. Raining meatballs? I think such a weather anomaly is far more likely than the truly tall tale in this story: the fact that everyone feels the same way about the weather.

As I type this, the weather outside my apartment is - in my opinion - disgusting. With the near-triple-digit heat and humidity that rivals most aquarium habitats, a simple walk to my car is akin to walking face-first into a giant sponge that has been toasting in the oven. I'd rather encounter nearly any other sort of weather (aside from natural disasters, which are stricken from this discussion, since we're assuming that all people actually have souls) when offered the choice. And yet, on a drive by the park I'll see people out walking or jogging and enjoying themselves. I'll see kids having a blast at the pool. I'll even see folks motoring by with their car windows down and looking comfortable. It seems unbelievable to me, but some folks do actually enjoy this weather.

When you sit down and really examine it*, the weather is a lot like a political issue. You're never going to have consensus. Some people hate the rain. When my area had a run several consecutive days with precipitation a few weeks back, there were grumblers all over the place.

*Or even if you stand up and sort of examine it.

"Oh, I wish the sun would come out."

"The clouds are so gloomy."

"This rain really sucks."

... and so forth. Frankly, I love the rain. It may be the result of some sort of mental imbalance, but I find a rain shower to be relaxing. I just like to hear the drops littering a window, or a roof, or a sidewalk. Weird? Most definitely, but I'd choose a rainy day over one like today every chance I could. (Sorry potential future wife that I have yet to meet that potentially wants a sunny, outdoor wedding.)*

*Now we're really getting far-fetched.

In winter, there's snow. Kids love snow. College students who attend universities whose presidents love to call for snow days love snow. Folks with towing and/or plow businesses love snow. Unfortunately, those that have to go out and shovel their sidewalks and driveways are so fond. Same goes for the folks that never learned how to actually drive in the snow and fishtail on the road more than the entrees at a Japanese restaurant.

Whatever weather situation your mind can conjure (again, barring the natural disasters), I'm confident you'll find folks on either side of the fence. It's a beautiful Spring day? Not for some folks with seasonal allergies. Isn't the fall breeze wonderful? Not if you're the one raking those leaves. It's the weather, and it's a subject for which there will never be consensus.

... Though there should be. The heat/humidity combo is an ache that hinders the summer and I'm sweating just thinking about it.*

*No, shouts of "Captain Sweaty" my direction are not appreciated.

No comments: