Thursday, July 15, 2010

Summer hoops, summer not

It's a Thursday night and I've already polished off the critically-acclaimed film "The Hurt Locker." (Verdict: Not bad, but it's no Highlander.) I'm now faced with hours left in my evening and nothing to fill them. Sure, I could do the dishes that are piling up in my sink or do some ironing, but it's a Thursday and that seems sacrilegious on such a day.* Besides, how could I do any sort of housework when I have the chance to watch a couple top draft picks, a collection of NBA hangers-on, and a whopping handful of guys that have as much chance on suiting up for an NBA squad next year as I do. It's the NBA Summer League and it's Faaaaaaantastic! On to the highlights...

*No, I have nothing to support such a claim. Nothing. (The Writings: Make less sense than usual since July 2010.)

- Cartier Martin, a member of The Writings' All-Time Favorites K-State Basketball team* has put together quite a game for the Washington Wizards' summer league squad. He has 23 points so far. No joke here, just some purple pride.

*Who makes up the five man roster? Thanks for not asking. (Note: I'm not exactly an old man. I don't remember K-State hoops prior to 1988 and this obviously sways the judging.)... G- Jacob Pullen; G- Askia Jones; F- Mitch Richmond; F- Cartier Martin; F- Michael Beasley

- The 2010 top pick in the NBA Draft - John Wall - is playing for the summer Wizards*. The kid is faster than most animals in the Serengeti, leaps like a spider monkey, and apparently skipped the ESPYs last night to show his devotion to the team... Hey, I skipped the ESPYs, too; where's my recognition?

*That name sounds like some horrible band that does nothing but Harry Potter tribute songs, no?

- The coach of Washington's squad is Sam Cassel. You probably know Sam for one of two things: 1. He won two NBA championships with the Houston Rockets in the 90s; 2. He kind of looks like an alien.

- The Dallas Mavericks' summer league roster features three guys I recognize and a load of players that may or may not be vacuum salesmen during the winter. Honestly, the rest of the team could very well be the cast of High School Musical and I wouldn't know any different. (Although if they broke into song after a missed layup I might grow suspicious.)

- The Washington roster also features a young big man by the name of JaVale McGee. Mr. McGee's mom played in the WNBA. Now, Mr. McGee's mom is being interviewed during this NBA summer league game shown only on NBATV. Am I wrong to think the crowd seeing her tonight is still bigger than any that saw her on television during her playing days?

- After the game, McGee says that his mom gives him tips of "things he didn't realize" after the games, like "go for the rebound." Being that he is an NBA player, let's hope JaVale realizes this one on his own before long.

No comments: