Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Making Chicken Salad

When tasked to think of a name for a fantasy football team* yesterday, I was reminded of a quote that came about last summer. The Chiefs were featured on the HBO program Hard Knocks, as producers had yet to realize how horrendous their season would be. When it came time to cut a quarterback, Casey Printers - who called signals for TCU and Florida A&M in his collegiate career - was on the chopping block. The situation was unfortunate (especially considering the face that the Chiefs did not really have another decent quarterback), but his conversation with Chiefs' Director of Player Personnel Ray Farmer proved to be an entertaining one. Citing the talent (or lackthereof) of the players he had been taking the field with, Printers said it was difficult to be too successful when he "had to make chicken salad out of chicken s#!%."

Why am I bringing this up? If this blog had an editor who had to sort through all my random thoughts, he'd probably feel the same way.

*Derek's total number of fantasy football teams will be withheld, as he'd rather not have a concerned reader suggest he join a support group for those addicted to the ... uhh... sport.


Oh well, let's make some chicken salad...


- Occasionally (read: far too often), I'll come across something so bizarre, that I'm certain I have seen the depths of human stupidity. This should not surprise you, as I usually follow that up by writing about it. Tonight's example comes in the form of the TV show, Greatest American Dog. From what I gather, the show takes all the idiocy of every reality competition that has ever appeared on television and drags a bunch of poor, innocent dogs into the mix. Past episode titles include "Dancing with the Dogs," "Top Dog Model," and "Dog Swap." Thankfully, they decided against imitating Flava Flav's show. I think the title, "Flavor of Dog" may have received some backlash.

Currently, a woman is being interrogated about her relationship with her canine, and tearing up while answering questions. I enjoy dogs as much as most normal folks, but at no point in this interview were tears warranted. The pup never cried. In fact, the pup looked like he had realized that he's appearing on a version of David Letterman's Stupid Pet Tricks stripped of all (intentional) comedy, inundated with overbearing dog owners and judges, and dragging on weeks too long. Does PETA come to the rescue when psychological issues are involved.


- Speaking of dogs (of sorts), how does one go about becoming a bounty hunter? What's that job interview like? I like to think the interviewer is a corporate type, handling the situation solely as a manager of personnel, leading to the following:
Interviewer: So, are you willing to push the limits of the law to hunt down the dregs of society?
Interviewee: Dregs?
Interviewer: You know, bad guys.
Interviewee: Yeah, I'll whoop those $#%@$^@#%$!
Interviewer: Alright then, I'll just write "yes." Now I notice you are currently sans facial hair and sporting a shaved head. Are you willing to grow some sort of whiskers on your face and grow out your hair so it can be braided or crimped?
Interviewee: Crimped? Like bloods and crimps?
Interviewer: Uhh, just say yes.
Interviewee: You betcha', brotha.


- Speaking of reality shows, is it a bad sign that 70-percent of the shows on television seem to be of that genre. When I show up for my 25-year high school reunion, will "So, have you been on a reality show yet?" be a common question?


- I sometimes wonder what life would be like if I used the same logic as Netflix. According to their "Movies You'll Love" section, I will really enjoy the British TV drama series, State of Play because I enjoyed the American comedy series Arrested Development. Isn't this kind of like saying that I should love the taste of lamb hooves because I enjoy hamburgers? I guess if I ever buy a girl an antfarm because she likes flowers, I'll know I'm suffering from netflixation.


- I don't claim to be knowledgeable when it comes to the world of physics, but if you're currently reading this writing from the inside of a black hole, this is probably why. The Big Bang Theory may be a controversial topic (along with a mildly funny TV show), but I'm not sure anyone - be they a subscriber to the theory or not - should anticipate the recreation of anything that involves the phrase "primordial fireball." I'd rather have all flaming orbs on this planet limited to the Mushroom Kingdom, thank you.


- In my book, it's not officially an election year until a quote about a farm animal adorned with cosmetics has been completely overblown. Let the race begin!


- For the K-Staters out there, it's rough that there's no game this week. How does one fill the void? Hopefully this will help a little...





Mario Smith Hit

No comments: