Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Are we really to that point?

Random observation of the day...

Driving by convenience store today, I noticed the message posted on the store's sign read:

Help Wanted
Apply Inside

Driving on to have my mode of conveyance's oil changed and tires rotated, I thought to myself, "Should I be insulted?"

No, I'm not one to be offended by the idea of a business offering employment. (Such thinking would have me struggling to make a buck.)

The part of the message that irritated me like a bit of popcorn kernel stuck in my craw. (ed. note - Apparently humans don't have any "craws" to speak of. It refers to the preliminary stomach of things like fowl... Is this common knowledge? Or can this writing be considered educational?)

"Apply Inside"

If I were a job seeker looking for a position at a convenience store and I happened upon a sign that said "Help Wanted," I like to think that I would be intuitive enough to realize that the application process would probably begin inside that very store.

Have there been problems in the past, with job seekers crowding around "Help Wanted" signs, expecting to find applications at that very spot?

I can see it now... Dozens of dreamers - who hope to one day be able to sell cigarettes, soda and lottery tickets to all who walk through the store's glass doors - waiting patiently next to a sign, just hoping that the applications for the open position will soon appear.

One potential store clerk receives a call on his cell phone.

Job seeker: Hey man. (Please forgive the use of speech styles common among young folks today... Oh yeah, I'm hip.)
Job seeker's friend: Hey dude, we're going grab some chow. You in?
Job seeker: Dude, I'd love to... but, I'm applying for a job.
Friend: Sweet man. How's that going?
Job seeker: Okay, I think. I've been waiting by this sign for, like, three hours and haven't dozed off yet. The boss guy has to be impressed by that.
Friend: Waiting by a sign? Did the application say you had to do that?
Job seeker: No man. The applications aren't even out here... I think this is like a weeding out process or something.
Friend: So did someone tell you waiting there was part of applying?
Job seeker: No man. But there was a dude out here already when I got here.
Friend: So you're just waiting by a sign that says they're hiring. Did you go inside to ask about the job?
Job seeker: No, no, no... The sign doesn't say anything about going inside. It just says "Help Wanted."
Friend: Oh... okay. Cool man. Good luck.


If there really are people who struggle with this line of thinking to the point that they have to be told to apply inside, is adding that line enough? I think we may need to add further clarification. My suggestion:

Help Wanted
Apply Inside
----------->
This Store
----------->
Please ask store employee for application
Fill out application with a properly functioning writing utensil
Please return application to store employee to be considered for position
If hired, please report back to this location when your employment begins


I think we're going to need some bigger signs.

1 comment:

Jared Larson said...

Derek, I am not commenting about this article but about your current poll. I believe your sentence "No hablo English" is incorrect. It should be "No hablo ingles" so all of the words in the sentence are in spanish. I'm very sorry to have to point out this serious flaw.

Yours truly,

Jared Vincent Larson