Sunday, May 01, 2011

AI

If you have ever watched much science fiction on television or in film, you know that there has been plenty of thought put into the idea of what might happen as our society continues to advance technologically. From droids to cylons to homes too smart for their own good, it seems that creations with intelligence of the artificial variety always seem to find some way to go awry. Luckily, it seems that those crafting such stories are paying far too much credence to the programming that goes with such intelligence. Simply put, they're wrong; we're safe. Why don't I fear the uprising of artificial intelligence leading to the collapse and enslavement of the human race?

According
to "personalized" emails I have recently received, I am both a Democrat
and a Republican*; I am an avid NBA bettor; I am a plus-sized woman who
enjoys buying clothes online; I am always looking for bargain prices on prescription pain meds; and I am gullible enough to believe that I can buy an iPad for $23.74.

*Unfortunately I have yet to receive anything from the whigs.

According to iTunes' "genius feature, I should be buying an album by Sum 41, despite the fact that it's no longer 2001 and I don't own a skateboard.

According to Netflix's movie suggestions, I'd really enjoy a Nova special about "social robots," all because I gave the NBC comedy "Parks and Recreation" a high rating.*

*Connect those dots... I'd enjoy a science special because I enjoy laughing during a show where the main characters think that all library employees are evil. Nice try, artificial intelligence!

After thorough review of the above, I'm fairly certain that we all can feel safe. Artificial intelligence has a long way to go before it is posing any major threats, so don't feel threatened by any "smartphones" you see.

Armies of uber-intelligent nanobots won't soon be invading my home... But if they do, there's no way I'm buying any plus-sized women's clothing from them.

No comments: